The Microsoft Translator app is a free app that can be downloaded from the Google Play Store or the Apple Store on any mobile device. With many different features and tools, the app is excellent for working with EAL students and opening up conversations who face language barriers in the classroom.
This guide shows how teachers and students can use the Microsoft Translator app on their mobile devices.
How to get started with Microsoft Translator in the classroom.
- Tap the microphone icon on the home screen.
- Choose a language you wish to translate to.
- Tap the microphone and begin speaking in your native language. The translation will appear on the screen and play aloud in the other person’s native language.
The translator app also has some extra features to support users with translation and learning:
- Select the speaker icon to read the phrase aloud again.
- Change the speed of the translation. For example, 0.75x for it to be read out slowly.
- Pin a phrase and save it to refer back to later.
- Share the recording and transcript in an email or via Teams.
Found this helpful? Share this guide with your colleagues and students.